02 March 2006

A Reflection, Pt. II

"Someone asked me if I had faith. That one caught me off guard for some reason. I mean, usually they ask if I believe in God, or Allah, or whatever the f-- heck they believe in. That's easier. I say 'No,' cuz I don't, finish the job, and leave. But this was different. Do I have faith...?"

What followed was a silence that can only be described as ponderous, as if he was really thinking about the question. After what seemed like an acceptable period (remembering that he is a killer), I gently coaxed him to continue with a choked and timid "Do you?"

"I had to stop and think about it for a bit. Finally, I had to say 'yes'. Y'know what she said then? I can remember it clear as if it happened 2 minutes ago. 'Then never let it go. Whatever it is that you believe in, never let it go.' I didn't understand what she meant until my last job." He sighed, "God she was beautiful. And she got it. She got it."

I wasn't sure what he meant by that. She "got it"? I could only assume he meant that she understood why he was supposed to kill her. Then he said this:

"Which means she got me."

Interesting. "She got you?"

"Yeah. She got me. And all of a sudden I didn't have the heart to tell her that the only thing I have faith in is Death."

No comments: